Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Pinto Beans are...DELICIOUS!!!

J and I recently had dinner at the home of one of his coworkers and his family.  I love to try food from different cultures.   As a result, I was super excited because, since his friend is Colombian, we were going to have a traditional Colombian meal!!!

Special note to picky eaters: I made a decision when I turned forty to expand my horizons where food is concerned. I have always been an extremely finicky eater and many times I missed out on some amazing foods because of fear. In the past year, I have eaten things I NEVER thought I would and loved them. While there have been a few things I didn't like, I'm so happy for the opportunity to try something new. That's not to say that I don't still have reservations where food is concerned.   I just make a serious effort to experience new tastes! In the process, I have added lots of new things to my Shaky Vegetarian palate and I look forward to lots of new culinary adventures!

Now, back to the food!

The first dish was a wonderful salad made with Avocado (which I NEVER eat), Cilantro (I eat in REALLY small amounts), Tomatoes (I typically ONLY eat tomatoes on sandwiches), Cucumbers (which I like), and some sort of tasty dressing! To be honest, I was mildly concerned, but curious.   :)

The salad was DELICIOUS!! The combination of flavors was cool, refreshing and a perfect compliment to the other dishes.

I will be making this at home...as soon as I beg for the dressing recipe!

Next, we had a wonderful white rice cooked with, get this.....Coconut Oil!  What?!!! It was awesome, especially after it was topped with....Pinto Beans!

I've never really been a bean person.  Usually, I would eat them, but very small portions.

THESE Pinto Beans were tasty and full of flavor.  They were mixed with corn, so if you don't have a corn allergy, I would be sure to add some!

Next, we had the BEST fried Plantains I have EVER eaten.  They were thin and crispy and FRIED!!!  They were sweet, crunchy, fried perfection!  (Did I mention they were fried?)  :)

So, with that, I must take a moment to thank the "E's" and their beautiful daughters for the fantastic meal and great fellowship!   J and I were blessed with a lovely evening.

The next day, I couldn't stop thinking about the Pinto Beans, so I went right out and bought some.

Here's what I used to prepare them:

1 package of Dried Pinto Beans
1 Large Organic Yellow Onion
2 cloves of Organic Garlic
1 tbsp Organic Vegetarian Better than Bouillon
32 oz  Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
2 tsp Organic Olive Oil (not pictured)
2 tsp Nature's Seasoning Blend
Salt & Pepper to taste!



1. Rinse and pick through the beans in search of anything that shouldn't be in there. (i.e. rocks or sticks)

2. Soak the beans according to package directions.  I soaked mine overnight, then rinsed the beans in the morning.



3. Chop one Organic Yellow Onion and two cloves of Organic Garlic

4. Add all the remaining ingredients to the Crock Pot and cook on High for 7 hours or until tender. Stir occasionally.


  Finally, They were ready!



I served them with rice and they were delicious!  (Miss J said to describe them as "palatable", but I thought that was ridiculous, so "delicious" they were!)


Please comment & subscribe!!!

Love & Blessings,

Denise

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I must've been Colombian in a past life or something -- I make white rice (Basmati) with Coconut milk! And i LOVE avocadoes! (Even plain with salt and a spoon). Sounds like a wonderful meal you had! Love new food! p.s. I think I may be becoming somewhat of a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry!! Somehow I missed this comment...until now!!! I will have to try the coconut milk with the rice. That sounds wonderful!!! Keep me posted on your Vegetarian status!! :

    ReplyDelete