Wednesday, May 9, 2012

We went on vacation and I didn't have asparagus.

Last week we went on a cruise.  In an effort not to gain 25lbs in a week, I tried to eat as many greens as possible, as little bread as possible and try asparagus!!  The asparagus didn't happen, more on that later.


Here's what I did try!

Jalapeno Potato Soup


This soup was DELICIOUS!!! I'd had it before and it was even better this time!  I'll recreate this in the fall when it's time for comfort food! 

Conchiglioni Pasta filled with Spinach & Ricotta served atop Marinara w/ a Pesto Drizzle

This dish was pretty good.  I'm not a huge fan of Ricotta cheese, so when I make it,  I'll make a Mozzarella/ Parmigiano Reggiano filling instead!

Bresaola Carpaccio

Yes...that is meat on the bottom of that dish.  No...I did not eat it.  BUT, the potato salad stuff on top was FANTASTIC!!!  So much so, that Miss J had them bring her a dish of it!!!  Potato Salad is great!!


I really wanted to try asparagus....I tried (well, sort of).  Anyway, I felt so strongly about it, when I got home the first thing I picked up from the store was asparagus.

I've always been a bit intimidated by asparagus.  It looks so...treelike, and fibrous.  Nonetheless, I bought it cooked it and...hid it...in pasta. :)  There's nothing like stir fry!





Here's what I did:

Vegetable quantities are estimated.   Feel free to add more of what you like, and less of what you don't.  I did!

1 julienne cut Carrot.
2/3 cup of Snow Peas (cut into bite-sized pieces)
1 tablespoon Fresh Italian Parsley
1/2 cup chopped Red Pepper
1/2 cup chopped Green Pepper
Zest & Juice of 1 Lemon
1 large clove of fresh Garlic minced (or Garlic pressed)
3/4 Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese - Finely Grated
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1/2 Tablespoon of Unsalted Butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
Morton's Nature's Seasoning Blend - to taste
1lb cooked pasta (Your choice)
1/4 cup Green Onions
1 cup Asparagus (chopped) - Miss J said I'm exaggerating a bit about the quantity, but whatever, this is my recipe!

I sauteed the veggies in butter and olive oil until crisp tender.  Tossed the veggies with the cooked pasta and added cheese.  Toss until mixed well and serve.
...

Ok, I admit it.  I cheated the asparagus, by hiding it in pasta...and cheese.  I feel a little bad about it too.  (sigh)

I guess I'll have to make it again, especially since I cheated the snow peas too.  :/


Everyone loved it though and that stands for something in my book!!!

How do you prepare Asparagus or Snow Peas?  Do you tend to hide them too?  Any recipe suggestions?



I'd love to hear from you!  Please comment, follow & subscribe!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome Back Denise! Asparagus is soooo good, just boil in a lttle water and throw some salt on it. It has to be cooked just right so it's not stringy. Try it, don't be afraid! Snow Peas we eat right out of the bag into the salad. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We had a nice time! I'm going to try the Asparagus again. I never thought to eat the snow peas raw!!! What a great idea! I prefer my veggies raw anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grilled asparagus or roasted in the oven with a little olive oil. Once cooked you can also squeeze a little lemon juice over them. Butter is good but defeats the healthy part. Prior to cooking you want to remove a little of the cut end of the stalk which can tend to be woody and stringy. If you hold the cut end in one hand and bend the stalk with the other hand slightly above the cut end the aparagus should break naturally leaving you with the best part to eat. Typically an inch or two at the bottom will be the woody / stringy part and you would not be a fan if you ate that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Anonymous!! The Asparagus and snow peas glare at me every time I open the fridge, so I'll try again this week!

    ReplyDelete