Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Blood Orange

I wasn't really fond of the name "Blood" Orange, but that's neither here nor there, we tried it anyway.  :)  As you can see, this one was a bit dried out around the edges, but it was still tasty.  The deep red segments were very pretty.

I had Lasik this week, so I didn't make anything with them.  I'm occasionally a bit accident prone in the kitchen, so Miss J wouldn't let me turn on the gas, or use a knife until my eyes had time to heal a bit.  She's the kitchen police.



Blood Oranges are rich in Vitamin C, Fiber, Folate, and the antioxidant Anthocyanin that comes from the red pigment in the fruit. (Blood Orange Info.) They are found to be higher in vitamin C than their plain orange counterparts, and the Anthocyanin provides even greater health benefits.

They are said to have notes of raspberries or red grapefruit, but those flavors were missed by me!  They tasted like regular oranges to me.  But, they were cute and fun, so we'll get some again!  Next time, I'll probably add the segments to a salad for a splash of color, mix into Sangria, or better yet, make Blood Orange Sorbet!  We like sorbet.

Miss J - "The color kind of creeps me out, but it wasn't bad."
JB - "They're pretty good.  It tastes like a regular orange." 
J - "It tastes kind of like a pomegranate." (Now that I think about it he's right, it did!)

Have you tried Blood Oranges?  Did you taste raspberries, red grapefruit, or pomegranate?

Please comment, share & follow!

2 comments:

  1. I've loved pomegranates since I was a child, so I'm thinking I'll love Blood Oranges too! I'm going to look for them at the supermarket next time i go. :) Thanks Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! You're welcome! It was so good to see you guys! We'll have to get together soon!

    ReplyDelete