Thursday, April 5, 2012

It was a rough week, I ate fake meat - Quorn Patties

This week has been a struggle for me.  I've learned rather quickly that being a vegetarian can be difficult at times.

Confession:  I have to be the WORST vegetarian on the planet.  Why? Because I really don't like most vegetables.  I never have.  Becoming a vegetarian for me was a means of staving off the high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, and cancers that have plagued my ancestry for generations.  I don't want ANY of that, hence my vegetarian diet.

Just to give you an idea of what I don't like food wise, here's a list:

1. Eggs - The texture is all wrong for me in any form.  I have ALWAYS hated eggs.
2. Eggplant - Too mushy and slimy.
3. Cauliflower
4. Mushrooms - I know it's a fungus... and that scares me a bit. 
5. Squash - I've tried it and just can't get past the texture.  I might try this one again.
6. Fennel - See this blog post -> Organic Fennel & Saffron
7. Olives
8. Corn - See this blog post -> Mini Pops

 OK, that's enough for now.  You get the idea.  I have texture issues.   On the bright side, I have discovered that the vegetables I actually do like, I like raw, which is better anyway!!!



Sooooo... today, I decided I needed something meat-like so I tried these,


and made this....



with these!!!




(SIGH) Deliciousness!!!!


These patties are Non-GMO, Soy Free and Meat Free!!!  I won't eat these on a regular basis, but when I feel a bit weak for meat, this will be my go to meal!! The texture was very meat-like, not mushy, but rather firm.  They tasted... like chicken!  I was delighted! (Miss J wanted me to use the word chickeny.  It's a real word, but only in the urban dictionary.)

What are they made of you ask? That's a difficult question for me to answer.  I started reading the ingredients and stopped.  I don't eat mushrooms, or anything related to a mushroom, so I decided it was best for me to remain in the dark about the actual contents of the patties.  But, if you want to know what's in them, click here!  -> What are Quorn patties made of?


Here are the Waffle Fries and Onion Rings.





















I won't pretend these are the best for you, but they are All Natural and better for you than their fast food counterparts.


All in all, this was a tasty treat!


J (Husband) - "This is the best thing I've had!"
Miss J - Liked the fries.  She passed on the "chicken burger".  - (Maybe another day)
JB (Son) - He liked it all! - (Big Surprise)


Have you tried any of these products?  Will you?  If so, come back and share!!  I'd love to hear from you!!  Also, please (pretty please) comment, share and follow!


Denise



5 comments:

  1. We've been eating the Alexia fries and onion rings for years! Haven't tried the Quorn patties yet because we still eat chicken, maybe one day. Why is corn on your don't like list? I thought you secretly love (the bad) popcorn (ha ha) Denise M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! I know!!! I love corn...it just doesn't love me back! - Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. being a former vegan, you should look into carribean dishes called ital. I think you would like it or try out a couple of indian or trini dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked into ital and saw some recipes I will definitely try!!! Thank you and stayed tuned! I will share what I try!!

    ReplyDelete