Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Green Books #1 - Green for Life By Victoria Boutenko


I started drinking green smoothie's a couple of years ago.  At the time, J and I knew we weren't consuming enough vegetables, so we decided that drinking them would be more efficient.  We ordered a VitaMix and the blending began.

Amazon.com
I happened upon Green for Life, by Victoria Boutenko shortly after becoming a vegetarian.  I found that it answered many of my questions about greens and their importance in the overall health of my family.

While I won't give the contents of the book away, I thought it might be fun to list 10 things I learned while reading this book!



Here goes!


1. The healing power of greens - Greens can be effective in healing certain diseases and ailments.  (PLEASE don't stop taking your medications without consulting your physician!!! - That is a BAD idea!!)

2. The importance of rotating the types of greens you consume - p.91

3. Why fiber is so important - p.49

4. Why drinking Green Smoothies eliminated my severe seasonal allergies - p. 62 
Note: I had terrible seasonal allergies.  My regiment consisted of one pill and one nasal spray in the morning and a different pill and nasal spray at night.  My sinuses drained, and I coughed and cleared my throat constantly.  My allergist predicted that this spring my allergies would be worse than last spring.  It is April and EVERYTHING is in bloom.  I have taken NO allergy medicine and have No symptoms!!!

5. The importance of Chlorophyll in our diet - p.85

6.  How you get protein from greens - p.41

7.  The health benefits of drinking Green Smoothies over Green Juices - p.19

8. Why greens can be hard to palate - p.27 
Another Note: The more greens I eat and drink, the more my body craves them.  They don't taste nearly as bad as they used to! I drink a Green Smoothie every day!!!


My "Green" Smoothie as a new vegetarian.


My Green Smoothie base NOW!!!

Kale, Chard & Spinach Blended
 (My flash got a bit overzealous.  It was not quite this neon green.)


I added 1 Organic Banana, 8 frozen Strawberries,  3 Organic Carrots and blended again.

The final result! 32 oz. of Green Smoothie!

9.  Green Smoothie recipes - p.175

10.  Testimonials - p.117

BONUS!!!  - The importance of eating raw.  - I thought this was cool, but I'm not doing it.  :)  

I thought this was an excellent book.  It supported many of the things I learned in the documentaries listed on the right side of the page, and presented the "why's" of eating green and raw.  It was an easy read and fairly inexpensive, (under $12) considering there are lots of recipes inside.


By the way, I thought this article was really informative as well.  If you can't eat organic fruits and veggies all the time.  This list suggests the most important ones!



Finally, I am intrigued by what The Bible says about diet.  Check out this passage about Daniel, Shadrack, Meshach, & Abednego !
 

Will you explore this book?  Are you and your family trying to eat more greens?  Do you have any tips about making or drinking Green Smoothies? 

I have one!!  If your Green Smoothie tastes really bad...hold your nose and drink it down!! You won't taste a thing! ;)


That's all for now, don't forget to comment, share and follow!

Denise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment