Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Good Stuff #4 - Mediterranean Vegetarian!!



For the past two years my family and I have traveled to Charleston, SC so my husband could run over this...

http://www.tylin.com/system/uploads/gallery_image/image/40/04.jpg
Cooper River Bridge

I'm thinking about running this race (Cooper River Bridge Run) next year, so any prayers would be greatly appreciated.


Anyway, last year we went to The Tabbuli Grill as meat-eaters, so we decided to pay them another visit.


This is what I had...


It's Falafel, on a pita...with Jerusalem Salad (cucumber, lemon, tomatoes, parsley & spices) !!!  It was delicious!!!!  Nobody, else really liked it, but I LOVED it!!!  :) 


Falafel is made from ground chickpeas and deep-fried.  They have a meaty texture and great flavor! Miss J said the texture was more crumbly, almost like grits to her.  I guess I agree.  Maybe I was just wanting it to taste like meat! ;)


We also had the Hummus and Pita Chip appetizer.  It was awesome and by far the best hummus I've ever had.  

Here's a link to the menu: Tabbuli Grill Menu


I'm really becoming a fan of chickpeas in various applications.  I still can't quite get them down in plain form, but you can't win them all.  :)

J had Shrimp Pitas and thought they were really good.

The kids had meat.  (That's all I have to say about that.)


Now that I'm on a Mediterranean flavor kick, I decided to make this!




Here's the recipe!

1 Piece of pita brad
2 tsp Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
2 tsp Mayonnaise
1 Tsp "Good" Olive Oil ;)
1 Tsp Red Wine Vinegar
Salt & Pepper
Organic Green Pepper Slices
Organic Red Onions Slices
Organic Romaine Lettuce
Organic Tomato

Listed below are the ingredients I would have added if I had thought of it before I ate the sandwich! :)

1. Organic Cucumber - I thought of this as I typed.  I will definitely add this next time, because I know it will be good! :)

2. Tzatziki Sauce. This sandwich would have been REALLY delicious with Tzatziki Sauce (Greek yogurt based sauce mixed with cucumbers, garlic, lemon etc...)!

3.  J was not home, but he would have liked Black Olives on his sandwich as well!
  
Finally,  If you are looking for a really flavorful Hummus, I would try these!





This brand is not USDA Certified Organic, but many of the ingredients are listed as organic.  This product is Gluten-Free and Vegan. 

 This is the best tasting store bought hummus I've tried, and the only hummus Miss J will eat.  She even puts it on her Pitas!   
 
Note:  I will always try to showcase organic ingredients in an effort to show what is seasonal and/or available in my area. 


Until next time!!!

Denise

1 comment:

  1. Miss J made homemade Tzatiki Sauce it was GREAT!!! If anyone wants the recipe, I'll be happy to pass it on!!!

    ReplyDelete