Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Organic Fennel & Saffron



Fennel was the vegetable of choice this time!




Fennel is rich in fiber, folate, vitamin C, and potassium! As a result,  when consuming fennel,  you are helping to boost your immune system, lower high blood pressure, and remove toxins from the colon! (Source:WHFoods.com)



I had always stayed from Fennel, because I'm not a fan of licorice....unless it's the red kind you eat at the movies.  So, this one was a bit of a stretch!  Nevertheless, I made Fennel with this recipe:





For more flavor I added Organic Better than Boullion (more info. on this product coming soon). 

The Fennel was a fail.  No one liked it.  The licorice flavor of the fennel did not appeal to any of our taste buds.  I tried to slip it in my husbands lunch, since he wasn't home for dinner.  He REALLY didn't like it.  My bad...


 I will admit that the raw fennel was not so bad.  

The texture of Fennel is similar to celery, but I found it to be less stringy.   The fresh taste was initially really nice, until I got to the licorice notes.  It would probably be very nice on a salad, if you are a fan of licorice or anise.

On another note...

This recipe also required us to try Saffron for the first time.  We loved it!!!  

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Saffran_crocus_sativus_moist.jpg
Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

Saffron is the stamen of the crocus plant and actually is beneficial to good health.  Saffron has been shown to improve vision and memory, lower cholesterol, and improve digestion among other benefits.   In addition, it can be made into a paste and applied to bruises, bug bites and burns to expedite healing. (sources: Benefits of SaffronNatural News)

Although saffron is the most expensive spice in the world, I found a small packet at my local Marshalls/ HomeGoods store for $1.99.  The recipe called for 1 tsp. of saffron and that is exactly the amount the package contained! 

The kids and I tasted the prepared orzo, before the Fennel was added.  The saffron had a mild, spicy flavor that was very tasty! I will definitely make this recipe again, minus the fennel.

Until next time!

Denise



2 comments:

  1. We are in the same boat. Hate Fennel. Never tried saffron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saffron was really nice. I bought a groupon for a spice shop near me, so I could buy more at a discount!

    ReplyDelete